Creamy Kale Pasta
5 large leaves Kale (stems removed)
1 cup raw cashews
2 ¼ cups water
salt and pepper to taste
½ tsp. dried dillweed
1 tsp. dried thyme
¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
1 Tbsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos (optional)
8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
1 medium onion (diced)
1 pound Pasta of your choice (I use whole wheat elbows—you’ll want something to soak up some sauce, so straight noodles would not be ideal)
1) Begin water boiling for noodles, add pasta when water is ready and cook according to package directions.
2) While noodles are cooking, Saute onion in large skillet in oil or a bit of water, for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for 5 more minutes.
3) In food processor, chop kale into fine bits. Add to skillet with onions and mushrooms.
4) Put cashews and 1 cup water in food processor. Process for several minutes, until mixture is creamy with no lumps. Add to skillet with veggies. Mix and then add the additional water a bit at a time.
5) Add herbs/spices. Add nutritional yeast and Braggs if using (these add an extra bit of nutrition and some more flavor, but aren’t necessary if you don’t have them).
6) Let it all simmer while the pasta finishes up. Mix sauce with pasta and enjoy! Goes great with a farm-fresh salad. Homemade bread/roll is nice too.
Submitted by Elizabeth Murray
Yummy Fruit Salad
1 lb frozen strawberries (sliced)
1 lb frozen blueberries
1 lb frozen peaches (diced)
1 lb frozen apples (diced)
1 lb frozen cherries (optional; you could also use raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, or any other favorite fruit)
1/2 c. Raw honey or agave nectar
3 tbsp sugar
1) Take fruit out of freezer and allow to thaw for about 30 minutes.
2) Place fruit in a large bowl.
3) Add honey/agave nectar and sugar and mix well.
4) Allow to sit in fridgerator for 30 minutes to get nice and cold. Serve chilled.
Submitted by April Nelson
9 large potatoes (washed, peeled, and diced)
3 eggs (these are optional if you are vegan)
1 large onion (diced)
1/2 c. mushrooms (diced)
1/2c. green onion (diced)
1/2 c. carrots (diced)
1/2 c. Mayonaise (or Veganaise)
1/3 c. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
2 tsp garlic
1 tbsp paprika
1/4 c. sugar
1) Wash, peel, and dice the potatoes. Boil the potatoes and eggs in 4 quarts of water until the potatoes are soft and the eggs are hard-boiled. Drain excess water, than deshell and dice the eggs. Place potatoes and eggs into a large bowl.
2) Dice carrots, onion, green onion, and mushroom. Add to the potatoes and eggs.
3) Add mayonaise and mustard. Mix well.
4) Add salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and sugar. Mix well.
5) Place in refridgerator for 30 minutes and allow to get cold. Serve chilled.
Submitted by April Nelson